Sunday, June 15, 2008

Salvation Army


I'm so sorry it's taken me so long to post... I'm still at my sister's babysitting, and haven't really had time to post anything.
I had the opportunity to work at The Salvation Army, up here in Pocatello, yesterday, and it was a really neat experience.
I went to my neice, Akayla's church and met the YW president and counselors, and since their YW is so sparse, they were really glad to see a new face! I also went to Mutual and helped them prepare food for The Salvation Army, and they were so excited to see me there. I felt like I was a part of their ward, and was really sad I had to leave them. (But that doesn't mean I'm not excited to see my REAL ward again!!!) Anyway, I was so surprised they asked ME to work at the Salvation Army and not Akayla, (she was apparently too young.) but I still agreed to go, because no other Young women could. The YW president was so sweet and kept making jokes like "It's pretty sad that we can't even get girls from our own ward here, we have to recruit to Utah!" It was so fun to work with them (The president and counselors) though, and I was really glad I went. I met some very nice people at The Salvation Army. They were all very grateful for the food we prepared for them and left with full stomachs. I felt bad for a few of them, with kids and people who seemed REALLY out of it, but it was such a great service project, and now I can check "Give food to the Homeless" off my Bucket list.

5 comments:

Ang said...

I'm so glad you are here and got to do that Genelle! My offer still stands -- you can come and live with us anytime! We'd love to have a live-in nanny!!

Carissa J said...

Lol! A live in nanny... I love it! That's awesome that you were able to do that, Genelle. It makes you feel good when you are able to help others. It also helps us be grateful for what we have! AND I'M GLAD YOU FINALLY DID ANOTHER BLOG!!!!

Mindy K said...

That is very cool!! Way to jump in and take care of things. We miss you around here, and we'll be glad to see your face in our ward again!

julie said...

Genelle, That's great that you got involved in such a worthwhile service project...and that you felt appreciated by the YW leaders and people at the Salvation Army. That made it even better for you. Sometimes when we serve, no one notices, but it is always good to serve and help others whenever possible. I think we're here on this earth to lighten the burdens of others when we can :) Sure love ya, and it's good to have you back home...oh, you're at Youth Conference now...well, see you Sat. M.

ACTA said...

I'm glad you had fun at the Salvation Army. I'm a little upset that I could't go just because I'm not old enough!! Well, I guess that's just life!!