Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Proud to be an American

*For added fun, you can listen to "America" by Neil Diamond down there on my playlist. Sorry I don't have "Proud to be an American."

Wow! I just realized I haven't updated in almost 2 months....
I haven't really had anything to say up until now, but today, my heart is full. I want to share everything!
As you may well know, today is September 11. Exactly 7 years ago today, a terrible accident occurred in New York, involving The twin towers/World Trade Center, terrorists, and over 2,000 people killed.
I was in 4th grade then, so I really didn't know what was going on, but I remember that that was the only day EVER that we were able to watch TV in school. Now that I've gotten older, I've been able to reflect on it more... understand.
It really was a horrible tragedy that never should've happened, but the best thing we can do is remember it. Because that's what History is all about... remembering.
A photo of the 9/11 attacks.

Whenever I think of any history, whether it's The sinking of the Titanic, The Holocaust, or Pearl Harbor, etc. I always manage to get choked up.

I feel especially patriotic today.

I'm so glad we live in a country where brave men and women alike were good enough to die for the freedom of man.

I'm sincerely "Proud to be an American."

Now for a little game called "Who said that?" I'm putting on some famous American quotes and YOU have to guess who said it.

1. "...And so, my fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you. Ask what you can do for your country."

2. "I have a dream this afternoon!!! That the brotherhood of man will become a reality. In this day in age! With this faith!"

3. "Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind."

4. "I am not an American. I am the American."

5. "All your dreams can come true... if you have the courage to pursue them."

5 comments:

Carissa J said...

1. JFK
2. Martin Luther King, Jr.
3. ?
4. ?
5. Walt Disney

I remember where I was when the twin towers were strucks... I was on my mission and we weren't allowed to watch any news about it or read the newspaper. It didn't really feel REAL to me and I'm still sad that I didn't have that experience with the rest of the country / world, all glued to the television, crying, etc. It was a very tragic event and I think we should make 9/11 a national holiday to remember those who lost their lives (we could probably do without Columbus Day... that one's controversial anyway).

Ang said...

Great post Genelle! I have totally missed you the past 2 months!!! I'm so glad you feel so patriotic....it's really great! I can't believe Carissa missed all of that. It was an unbelievable day - one never to be forgotten!

Vonnie said...

Genelle I am so glad you are back with BANG. I check on you regularly & wondered where you were!? Thanks for the deep thoughts. I second Carissa's guesses. Are you posting the answers?

jenjen said...

I too loved this post. It always helps to feel more patriotic and I agree we should make this day a national holiday. It felt weird to send my kids to school, we really should spend the day together with our family. Thanks for the fantastic thoughts. What are the answers? PS I think one of the past presidents said the religion one.

The Youngs said...

1. John F. Kennedy
2. Martin Luther Kin Jr.
3. Albert Einstein
4. Mark Twain
5. Walt Disney

Well, I knew the first four for sure - was a bit hesitant about the last one - but I trust Carissa... :-)

This is pretty cool - I always loved that quote by JFK.

By the way, I am Chimge - I know Carissa from Hawaii and got to yours through her blog. Very cool blog. Seems like we got a lot in common - I enjoy reading your blog and I am sure will come back often.